Saturday, August 4, 2012

Liebster Award

Hi all!

So when I woke up yesterday morning I was excited to see a comment from the lovely Beckawoo telling me she'd nominated me for the Liebster award. Everyone should go check her out, she's a big nerd like me :) Thanks Beckawoo! :)

Edit: Teeni from Tales of Teeni also tagged me for the Liebster the day I posted this, so I'm going to edit her questions in as well :) Go check her out! Thanks Teeni! :)

Edit 2: Lustrous Lacquer also nominated me, go check her Facebook out! She's starting an alphabet challenge (this week is A) that I'm super excited to join in on. Anything to help me pick a color :p Thanks LL! Questions below :)

Edit 3: Thank you Lacey from My Boyfriend Hates Makeup for another tag! Her blog is super cute, go follow her :)

Edit 4: Thank you Megan from Meganails, Caroline from Caroline's Nails and Tomboy Nails for tagging me! Go check them out :)

Initially I was pretty confused because it's not a very self-explanatory name, haha. Could have also had something to do with me not having had coffee yet. Who knows. I'm new to blogging, so I had to go look this up- it looks like a fun way to get to know everyone! Here's what it's about:



"This little award is all about discovering new blogs and helping those with less than 200 followers to get recognised."

Here are the rules:

1. Each person tagged must post 11 things about themselves.
2. They must also answer the 11 questions the 'tagger' has set for them.
3. They must create 11 more questions to ask bloggers they have decided to tag.
4. They must then choose 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers and tag them in their post.
5. These lucky bloggers must then be told.
6. There's no tag backs.


11 Things About Me:
1. I live in sunny San Diego and wish it rained more x.x
2. I’m 28
3. I have an Engineering degree
4. I’m obsessed with English Bulldogs and have a 10 month old named Thor
5. My boyfriend is very tolerant and encouraging of my polish habit and for this I am thankful
6. If it has cupcakes, keys, locks, leaves or quilting details on it, I will get it.
7. My home decor is red, black and dark wood.
8. I go to BlizzCon every year.
9. In fact, this blog is named Lightwell Nails as a nod to my priest ;)
10. I can bend my elbows backwards
11. I’m really shy in face-to-face conversations

Beckawoo's questions:
1. What type of music do you like?
I like a little of everything but mainly I’m into electronic and industrial.
2. What's your favourite quote and why?
“Insecurity builds high walls around our possibilities.” I like it because I think it’s something we all battle with whether we know it or not; it’s something everyone has in common with everyone else.
3. Xbox or PlayStation?
PS3 baby.
4. What film (TV series counts right??) makes you cry the most?
I actually bawled my eyes out at the end of Battlestar Galactica, I know everyone hates the end but it just made me SAD.
5. What's your NATURAL hair colour?
Strawberry blonde.
6. Where do you shop the most?
Probably Petco haha.
7. What's your day job?
I’m a server & systems administrator for a large corporation.
8. What do you value most in life?
That I have it pretty damn good. I have a good job, two cool brothers, a cute dog and a boyfriend who’s my best friend. Sometimes I start to feel sort of behind in life and I have to remind myself that I have a lot that others don’t.
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever done?
I took off by myself last-minute to Vegas in 2004 for the SOE EverQuest FanFaire. I’d never been to Vegas, never been on a plane and was meeting up with ingame friends o.o
10. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Lack of respect for others’ time.
11. Where would you bury hidden treasure if you had some?
At the top of Dewey Point in Yosemite.

Teeni's questions:
1. When did you fall in love with makeup?
When I was 12 and my mom wouldn't let me wear it :p We want what we can't have! There's still weeks here and there where I won't wear any, though, just as a palate refresher.
2. Who inspired you to start blogging?
I was, and still am occasionally, a serial nail biter, so I assumed that nice hands just weren't in the cards for me. But every nail blog whose first post revealed they used to do the same was my inspiration. Plus the BF telling me I should post my stuff!
3. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
Sweden, my motherland :p
4. What is your dream profession?
Datacenter architecture/network planning. I mean the technical side, not the hammer and nails side :p
5. What is your favorite "me time" ritual?
I like to get the house and the dog alllll taken care of, then sit with a coffee and a tasty snack and read all the new stuff on my Google Reader (i.e. all the fun stuff you ladies post ;))
6. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Still happy! :p
7. Favorite luxury makeup brand?
Chanel
8. Favorite place to buy clothes?
Online gah I hate shopping in person.
9. What makes you the happiest?
Cuddling up on the couch with the BF and the dog.
10. Favorite book?
The Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series by Tad Williams, I'm a sucker for a good fantasy novel.
11. Guilty pleasure?
Sharing my food with my dog.

Lustrous Lacquer's questions:
1. What color makes up most of your collection?
Pink :p
2. What is your favorite pizza topping?
Jalapeno and pineapple!
3. Do you still have a landline?
I haven’t had one in 10 years :)
4. Favorite cuticle treatment?
Lemony Flutter and my homemade olive oil/sugar scrub
5. What is the best tip you've ever gotten from a fellow blogger?
How to clean up using a brush!
6. When did you first become interested in nail polish?
About a year ago - I have really weak, thin nails so I had acrylics for the longest time just so I wouldn’t scratch myself accidentally. I got tired of the constant upkeep so I decided to go natural, at first it wasn’t pretty but a year of vitamins, scrubs, cuticle cream and obsessive nail care later I think I’m doing better ;)
7. What is your favorite Olympic sport? (summer or winter)
The BF teases me for this - the equestrian sports!
8. What is your favorite nail trend?
I’m going through a milky-base-with-glitter-obsession phase.
9. Comedy or romantic movies?
Comedy for sure.
10. Do you own any Indie Polish?
My indie collection has grown out of its melmer drawer *sniffle*
11. Favorite Polish Brand?
I can’t name a favorite, they all have their pros and cons to me. I just love polish :)

Lacey's questions:
1. How do you organize your stash?
I have two Melmers, all the drawer pics are on my Stash page!
2. If there was a fire, and your family was all safe, what 5 polishes are you rescuing?
KOH Blue Universe, Nerd Lacquer All of Time & Space, Nailventurous Robin Laid an Egg, Nfu-Oh 51 and Sparitual Sacred Ground
3. When did you start loving makeup/polish/beauty products?
Ever since I was a little kid. But I take makeup breaks here and there. (I'm a never-nude when it comes to polish, though!)
4. Describe your personal style.
Kinda a mish-mash of edgy and girly.
5. One word that people that know you well would use to describe you.
Nerdy.
6. Where is the weirdest place you ever polished your nails?
Hah I didn't know I was so boring until now ;) I think one time I mixed it up and painted them at the coffee table and not in the kitchen :p
7. Do you have any other hobbies besides nail polish?
Hm! Photography (nature, I know my indoor photos suck :<), snowboarding, video games, arts and crafts, does my dog count as a hobby? I spend enough time on him. Electronics repair.
8. What is your favorite wild animal?
I like wolves!
9. When and why did you start blogging?
I started a few months ago, I loved all the nail blogs I read and decided to give it a shot even though I'm not very verbose.
10. How many bottles of polish do you own?
Upwards of 700
11. What do your friends / family think of your hobby?
Right now I'm just the friend with the cool nails but I think if they knew the truth someone might say something haha.

Tomboy Nails' questions:
1. What other hobbies do you have?
Let's see...I also like photography, cooking, crafts, electronics repair, my dog and video games!
2. What is your favorite brand of polish? (indie or drugstore)
I can't really pick a favorite, each brand has their gems and their flops :)
3. What do you do for work?
I'm a sysadmin.
4. Forgetting any price attached to it, if you could receive your #1 polish lemming- what would it be?
UD Toxin :)
5. What's your favorite snack?
Cheetos, yes, the stereotypical IT goon snack.
6. How often do you change your mani/pedi's?
I try to every other day! Boyfriend time gets in the way of that.
7. If you could only own 6 polishes, ever, what would they be?
KOH Blue Universe, Nerd Lacquer All of Time & Space, Nailventurous Robin Laid an Egg, Nfu-Oh 51, Sparitual Sacred Ground and China Glaze Strawberry Fields.
8. What is your favorite movie?
Primer
9. Do you collect anything else besides polish?
*hide* Toys...my house looks like the 40 Year Old Virgin's
10. Where would your dream vacation take place?
Aspen...Cabin...Fire in the fireplace...Mr. K...oh yeah!
11. What is your favorite animal?
Doggie :D

Caroline's questions:
1. Why did you start your blog?
To share ideas with everyone!
2. Do you ever feel like you won't get more followers? Do you ever loose hope and think that blogging was a bad idea? Why?
Sometimes, but if just one person sees a picture of mine and thinks "that's cool" then hey, I've met my goal. Or if not, then whatever, it's still fun to post it :)
3. What keeps you motivated to keep blogging?
Seeing everyone else's posts!
4. What is your favorite brand of polish?
They all have their good and bad moments...haha
5. What is your favorite nail art trend?
I'm liking the jelly sandwich thing lately :)
6. How do you wear your nails most of the time? Long, short, medium? Plain color? Crazy art? Stamping? I want to know!
Short and glitter!
7. What is your favorite manicure that you've ever done? Post a picture or link!
A neon teal and gold glitter combo...I really need to post it. It was inspired by one of the Dragon Queen's dresses in Game of Thrones.
8. With nails, beauty, and blogging out of the way, what are your other hobbies or pastimes?
Tons! I also like photography, cooking, crafts, electronics repair, my dog and video games.
9. What is your favorite song?
I don't really know if I could pick a favorite, it depends on the moment haha
10. Who is your favorite band/artist?
Same with this!
11. What are your top 5 favorite blogs?
Ah I couldn't narrow it down. I feel like I like a lot of different blogs for very different things - one girl is really funny, one takes great true-to-color swatches, one shares my nail art aesthetic, etc. Plus I find new pages to like every day!

Megan's questions:
1. Why did you start blogging?
To share pictures and tips with everyone!
2. What is your goal in blogging?
Hopefully I inspire even one person with a design, or a color combo, or turn them on to a new brand they want to try.
3. Short nails or long nails?
Short :)
4.What is your favourite brand of nail polish?
They all have their pros and cons.
5. If you could only wear one polish for the whole year, what would it be?
Oh man. Nfu Oh 51 I guess...that'd just be rough though :)
6. What basecoat and topcoat do you use?
For basecoat I use Butter London Nail Foundation and for topcoat I use Gelous followed by Seche Vite.
7.What is the maximum amount you would spend on one polish?
Probably around $30 :)
8. What was your best polish bargain?
One of my old SH Prisms that was freeeeee. I didn't even realize it was cool until a few months ago.
9. What is the most expensive nail polish in your collection?
Probably KOH Blue Universe.
10. What is your biggest lemming?
Urban Decay Toxin!
11. When did you get into nail polish?
About a year ago! I decided to stop getting acrylics and needed something else to keep from biting my nails.

My questions for my tagged 11 :)
1. What would you say your getting-started-with-blogging experience has been like?
2. How do you store your stash? (Share pics! :D)
3. Do you collect anything?
4. What’s your favorite part of every day?
5. What other communities do you participate in on your blog topic? (i.e. Reddit, Tumblr, Facebook, MUA, etc.)
6. What nail technique, design, color combo etc. have you wanted to try but haven’t yet?
7. Star Wars or Star Trek?
8. What was the most memorable trip you ever took?
9. What’s your favorite breed of dog?
10. What do you never leave the house without?
11. What’s your favorite piece of “life advice”?

Last but not least, my nominations! I know not all of you ladies are new, but you're all awesome and I'm glad to be following you!
1. Sparkle and Shine Nails
2. Can't Hold My Lacquer
3. Too Cute-icle
4. Just Another Polish Addiction
5. Polished Potential
6. Not Too Polished
7. I Feel Polished
8. Fox Claws
9. Enchanted Nails and Fluffy Dog Tails
10. Denny's Digits
11. Kossori Hana

Thank you for reading!

K x

6 comments:

  1. <3 Oh my gosh! Thats so cool :))) Thanks for the tag! I feel like a real blogger now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That's a lot! My nails are wet, so I'll have to type it all up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww no way you picked playstation that's it we have to be enemies now xbox 360 all the way lol glad you had fun with this post and don't worry when i got my award i didn't get it either haha. like the nod to wow i haven't played it in a while now but when i get my account back up we should geek it up as long as your horde ofcorse lol great post x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tag! I've been finding all sorts of nail ladys who also play WoW, and I'm glad to see that I wasn't being a TOTAL nerd when I automatically thought of my priest when I saw your blog name, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha yup I'm a big dork and it makes me so happy to see all the other WoW ladies outing themselves too! :) FOR THE HORDE!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you SOOOOOOO much, I am SO sorry I was this late posting!

    ReplyDelete