Tuesday, September 4, 2012

August 2012 Birchbox

I'm so addicted to sample services. Even if it's not something I ever thought of using, it's cool to know it's out there. Of course, it's hard to give a proper review when samples only give 1-2 uses, but I guess it's enough to give an idea!

One service I subscribe to is Birchbox, I'm sure everyone knows what this is by now but for those who don't I'll give a blurb at the end of the post :)

August's box was supposed to be a "back to school" theme. I didn't really get the theme vibe from the box, but whatever :p Sorry, but I didn't take individual pics of each of the products...they weren't really that interesting to me!

My Box

Pros: Smells like roses! My favorite smell! The sample was enough for 2 uses. My hair feels softer than it does with my regular shampoo/conditioner (Living Proof no frizz)
Cons: I don't like the sample packets grrr. They're hard to tear open. It doesn't calm frizz as well as my current s/c. I don't know if this is sulfate free, but it felt like it when I was using it...you know? Sulfate free hair products don't feel very luxurious during use, I don't know if I'm the only one who has that complaint :p But as soon as it rinsed out it felt amazing (not a con, duh)
I have fine, color treated, frizzy hair that tangles easily and most hair products make it feel sticky. It's frizzier than after the Living Proof but softer, less tangly and not sticky. The real test would be to use it for more than  a few weeks. I'd also be interested to see if the color preservation properties work, since I have reverse-ombre-ish hair that's dark red on the bottom and it fades like crazy.
This stuff is even more expensive than my Living Proof but I might have to offload some BB points. At the very least I'm glad I got to try it, even though I have to put it on my wish list for a little while.

I have the regular Viva la Juicy, I haven't met a Juicy perfume I didn't like...mmm. This smells pretty much the same, just more...flowery? IDK I don't review perfumes for a good reason :p If you like the original VLJ I would say this is a safe bet. It's got that same candy sweet but fresh smell, but with a hint of floral. The bottle is super cute.

I love this! It looks terrifyingly bright in the package but goes on very sheer, it looks like you've eaten a popsicle. It tones down to something that looks very good on my skintone, which as you can see from my pictures is light with cool/neutral undertones. I would normally show this on my lips but the weird heatwave we're having in San Diego is doing some funny things to my skin ...I'll spare you guys. This has no taste or smell, didn't feel sticky and felt moisturized. I don't think it lasted very long but no lip gloss does on me, YMMV. I've heard so many good things about the Jouer lip glosses but never got to try one before now.

This color is JUST the right amount of pop on me.

Umm...this one's hard to evaluate. I have a few horizontal stretch marks on my legs from growing at a ridiculous rate when I was younger, and I guess they just never went away. But I was under the impression stretch mark treatments had to be used for a matter of weeks or months for results. This sample will probably get you about 3-4 uses. I really don't like it...it's sticky and it smells funny, it *smells* unscented, if that makes any sense? I would just stick with cocoa butter :) Per the blurb on BB's product page it sounds really great, but I would have to see a study with amazing results before I'll put up with the sticky and weird smell LOL!

Schick Hydro Silk Razor:
Another ummm...sure...*throws in guest drawer* I've been all about men's razors since my roomie turned me on to them back in college. They're less floofy and have a heft and sturdiness to them that I didn't get back when I used the Venus or Schick Women's Quattro. I currently use a men's Gillette Fusion, it just feels less flimsy than the women's razors I used to use. But you never know when you'll need a one-off razor, so in the sample bin it goes! FWIW, this one looks very nice and I have not tried the Hydro Silk specifically.

The box also came with a "Beauty School" book with tips and tricks, a lot of the stuff in there wasn't anything wild but if you're just getting started I could see how it would be helpful :)


Hit up the product title links for the Birchbox product pages! I'm kinda ticked at them right now, Myglam is lapping them in every way each month, but it's too fun to get a box of samples each month to unsub. If you don't know what Birchbox is, it's a $10/mo (monthly or yearly) sample box program, they collect up 4-5 deluxe samples and send them out to you. I've gotten some real duds (teabags? bahahaha) and some real treasures (mini Color Clubs, Eyeko eye sticks, blinc mascara). You can sign up at Birchbox.com or use my referral link here: https://www.birchbox.com?raf=kgpq4

Again, thanks for reading! Did anyone else get anything of note in their Birchboxes this month?
K x

No comments:

Post a Comment